Sunday, April 09, 2017

Holy Week, Holy Passing

My mother Evelyn and I in 2007

Today marks nine years since my mother died of Alzheimer's Disease.

This year the day falls on Palm Sunday, the day when Jesus returns to Jerusalem and the confrontations begin that will lead to his death.

This year my friend Kathleen is dying from cancer that began in her uterus and had metastasized to her lungs when discovered in June 2015.

I spent eight hours with her yesterday, from 11 am to 7 pm.  She's been in and out of the hospital since early February.  Her last hospitalization was toward the end of March, followed by a week in skilled nursing.

On March 30 she returned to an assisted living facility, Claremont Manor, and finally agreed to go on hospice.  Yesterday was her ninth day of hospice, and it's clear she only has a few days left to live.

Yesterday was also her birthday.  She turned 77.

How do you wish someone happy birthday as she dies?  It's difficult, but some 12-15 friends stopped by.  She was able to talk with them and enjoy their company briefly, but each visit was also tiring.

I just sat quietly in a chair at her bedside, leaving the room when she had visitors, getting things for her when she asked, listening when she spoke.

She monitored the oxygenation of her blood with a fingertip pulse oximeter.  Her oxygenation stayed around 90% except when she coughed and had to remove the oxygen tube from her nose.  When the pressure was set at 5, she felt a cold wind blowing past her ears.  Her caregiver would not turn the level down without permission from a nurse or doctor, so Kathleen asked me to turn it down to 3, sneakily, and I did.  Later her friend Margaret got the permission from one of her doctors.

We also figured out that where the tube splits into two, one for each nostril, it's important that the ends be pointing up, not down into the bottom of her nose.

Kathleen herself is a cardiologist.  Her heart beat was running about 112 beats per minute, according to the oximeter.  I expressed concern about that, but she waved it away, only following the oxygenation reports.

I realized that her heart was pumping so hard, trying to get oxygen and send it around through her blood.  It was the heart rate of an athlete exercising, running fast.  I knew the heart couldn't keep that up for day after day.

Kathleen had drunk a cup of tomato soup from Trader Joe's that morning.  She sipped water occasionally throughout the day.  When I suggested water, she was grateful, telling me that she forgets to drink.

"Remind me," she said.  I did.  She drank over half a cup of water during the time I was there, but I knew it wasn't enough.  She can't eat solid food or even pureed food.  It's difficult for her to swallow.  I didn't ask her why lung cancer would take away her ability to swallow.  She's also given up milk shakes and Ensure because they have milk in them, which causes congestion in her throat and lungs.

I realized that she's essentially fasting.  A body can't keep functioning without food for long, not when you have fourth-stage cancer and are barely drinking any liquid.  

When I was with her two weeks earlier, she said, "I'm on the way out."

"I'm so sorry," I said.

"It is what it is," she replied.  She says that at least once a day.

Yesterday when she said it, I replied, "But it's not good."

"It's interesting," she said, ever the doctor with a curious mind.

After some other guests had gone, she said, "Don't leave."

A doctor friend sent a birthday gift: fancy ocean-scented lotion and hand soap.  I opened it for her and showed them to her.  I helped her to text a thank you to the doctor.  Her fingers were barely warm enough to send a message when she tapped a letter.  Even knowing how to get names and phone numbers and change screens was becoming hard for her.

"Would you like lotion on your hands?" I asked.

I smoothed it on her long fingers and palm, then on the length of her arm.  I noticed her light brown skin had turned a bit jaundiced.  She only had one functioning kidney, and it was maybe shutting down.

"My skin is so dry," she said.

Later I realized we had enacted the scene where Mary in the Gospel of John, chapter 12, anoints Jesus's feet with costly nard.  "That's for the day of my burial," Jesus said, knowing that he was likely to be arrested and executed.

Light in the room was dimming at sunset.

"The day is so long," Kathleen said.  "And the nights are longer."

"That sounds like what Woody Allen said," I commented.  "'Eternity is so long, especially toward the end.'"  But I immediately wished I hadn't said it.  She was thoughtful, looking eternity in the face.

The whole day reminded me of my mother's death: her not being able to swallow or even drink toward the end, me postponing hospice until she had less than two weeks left-- but we never know how close to the end we are.

Kathleen (right) with Ivone Gebara
I thought my mother would live a week or two longer, so on a Tuesday I didn't visit her until the evening and then only briefly.  She died Wednesday morning, April 9.  Had I known, I would not have gone to teach my class and hold office hours that Tuesday.

I was also thinking of Pat Reif, who died on Palm Sunday of 2002.  I had spent time with her just before she left this earth, too early, with pancreatic cancer.  She was a nun, scholar, anti-war activist, feminist, with doctoral degrees in both philosophy and theology.

Like Kathleen, she had done much good in her life.  Both she and now Kathleen would die during  Holy Week.

At 7 pm I said goodbye to Kathleen.  "I'll come back Thursday," I said, thinking she might not make it to Saturday.  Maundy Thursday or Good Friday--fitting times for a near-saint to leave.

"Thank you for coming," she said.










2 comments:

Unknown said...

Having Dementia disease knocked my grandma off her life and had her living like a mad person, I did know how the better part of her life eluded her, my mind was completely splatted in two, She showed a severe decline in her mental and cognitive skills in the last few years of her life and her quality of life had deteriorated greatly in the last 3 years of life where she was mostly bedridden. I am very glad my partner sought help and now she is free from all signs of psychosis. She was healed through the herbal medicines from Dr Charanjit, I do not wish to go the same route and I manage to live a fairly active and healthy lifestyle.
Here are her words "Finally, can you imagine what it would feel like to be NORMAL again, like I were before I was struck down by this horrible condition that you never asked for, and don’t deserve?" Sounds great doesn't it?
You can contact him via email charantova@gmail.com He is well known for his groundbreaking treatments concerning the brain and mind issues.

Unknown said...

In my own case it was just over four years ago when my Mum began to sound different on the phone. She lived back East with my siblings and my husband and I were living on the West coast and in phone calls it became apparent that my Mum's voice no longer had the same tones of excitement and humor that she used to; and instead it was very flat. At the same time she began to tell us about a situation at work that just didn't seem possible; she was complaining that a group of fellow workers were conspiring to get her. Although Mum had much academic success as a teenager, her behavior had become increasingly odd during the past years. She quit seeing her friends and no longer seemed to care about her appearance or social pursuits. She began wearing the same clothes each day and seldom bathed. She lived with several family members but rarely spoke to any of us. Obviously this whole story seemed very unbelievable and we sensed something was wrong but had no clue as to what it could be. We recommended that my Mum quit her job and look for something else - as we began to wonder if she had a "mental breakdown" and would get better once out of the stressful job situation.
In the case of Mum, she was having persecurtory delusions, auditory hallucinations and negative symptoms that had lasted for at least Three years. All of these symptoms fit with a diagnosis of Dementia. Her story reflects a common case, in which a high-functioning young adult goes through a major decline in day-to-day skills. Although family and friends may feel this is a loss of the person they knew, the illness can be treated and a good outcome is possible as it all got better when we started using a herbal medicine for her through Aparajita.
My recommendation to people who are either wondering if they have Dementia or wondering if a friend or loved one has Dementia should contact aparajitatan@gmail.com. I think one of our key problems was that we didn't do this in the early days of my Mum's illness as we never thought of a natural alternative for her.