Tuesday, April 09, 2013

Of Rats and Men and Women

Mice don't develop Alzheimer's Disease, so they are of only limited use in research on AD.

Rats, however, are a few million years closer to humans in the evolutionary journey, and they do develop the illness.

This discovery means that rats can be used to test various treatments to prevent the build-up of amyloid plaques, according to a study published in the Journal of Neuroscience today.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/04/130409173455.htm

Apparently the development of these plaques is the result of one or more mutations of genes.

President Obama's allocation of funds for brain research is important in relation to the prevention of Alzheimer's Disease.  If the right preventive medication can be found, our economy will save billions of dollars by not having to provide care for aging citizens.

Maybe those meds will be available in time to help me--but meanwhile I will continue to exercise three times per week, try to avoid gaining weight, and stretch my brain by studying Hebrew.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey! I know this is kinda off topic but I was wondering which blog platform are you using for this
site? I'm getting sick and tired of Wordpress because I've had issues with hackers and I'm looking at alternatives for another platform. I would be fantastic if you could point me in the direction of a good platform.

Stop by my blog post; adult finder