Monday, October 03, 2005

"You Left Me"

We had just completed a doctor visit--driving to the office building, waiting in the lobby, having weight and blood pressure checked, seeing the doctors, and having blood drawn.
And then I remembered: we had to sign up for the Coumadin Clinic.
I asked a receptionist about it, and she directed me back to another room.
"You can just leave your mother here," she said. "The room you're going to is so small."
"Okay," I said. "Mom, can you just wait here in the lobby? There aren't any magazines, but can you just wait a few minutes?"
"Of course," she said. "No problem."
So I disappeared through the swinging door and talked to the clinic manager for about two minutes.
But then Mom appeared next to me, flustered, anxious, being pushed in her wheelchair by the receptionist.
"You left me there! Why did you leave me?"
"It's okay, Mom," I explained. "I just had to talk to this lady. I'm done now. We can go home."
We went to get a V-8, stop at the dry cleaners, and drive back to Ocean View.

No comments: